Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Fierce

Fierce: How Competing for Myself Changed Everything. Aly Raisman. 2017. 368 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I'm sitting on the floor of the airy warm-up gym in the Rio Olympic Arena and fiddling with the fraying white rug beneath my feet, grateful for a distraction.

Premise/plot: Fierce is an autobiography by Olympic gymnast, Aly Raisman. She won medals in London and Rio. She also appeared on Dancing with the Stars.

My thoughts: I love, love, love, LOVE watching gymnastics. It is easier to follow the sport during Olympic years because that is when they broadcast it on TV. But in a perfect world where EVERY sport I cared about was aired on TV and all the sports I didn't care about weren't, I'd watch gymnastics each and every season. I have read quite a few biographies now. This one was very good. She's honest and open about her life--the good, the not so good. She has a lot to say to young girls--really, to women of ALL ages. Her voice should be heard.


© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: