Thursday, September 14, 2017

Under Their Skin

Under Their Skin. (Under Their Skin #1) Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2016. 320 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "You're doing what?" Nick exploded.

Premise/plot: Nick and Eryn are surprised that their mom is getting remarried. They worry that things will change--and not for the better. They are right, in a way, but not in the way you might be thinking. New step-father, new step-sister, new step-brother, new house, new rules, new dynamics. Right?! Not exactly. Their lives will be forever changed though.

My thoughts: I am still irritated at GoodReads for not saving my first review. This second review will be much shorter. And if GoodReads glitches again, the third one will be just a sentence long! It's not fair to Haddix to blame her though. The book is interesting. It's definitely plot-driven, action-driven. The characters aren't horribly developed. But I found it a very quick read--just one sitting. Overall, a satisfying read. I'm not sure I'll remember it as one of Haddix's best novels....I'm not sure I'll remember much of it at all. But that's a consequence of reading a couple hundred middle grade books a year.
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: