Sunday, April 16, 2017

Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur

Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners. Judy Sierra. Illustrated by Tim Bowers. 2012. Random House. 40 pages [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: You're shopping at the grocery store. Surprise! You see a dinosaur. This doesn't happen every day. So, what are you supposed to say? Hello, I'm pleased to meet you.

Premise/plot: How well do you know your manners? This book supposes that you--the reader--are meeting a dinosaur at the grocery store. Each page reveals a new scenario. Rhyming clues may prompt readers to the right answer for each scenario.

Favorite quotes:
You want to buy some butter brickle. Yikes! You need another nickel. The dinosaur says, "Here's a dime." What are the magic words this time? Thank you. Here's your change. Would you like some butter brickle? The dinosaur is worried that a brickle snack would make her fat. She does not want it even slightly. How does she let you know politely?
My thoughts: This is a favorite of mine. It is definitely my favorite concept book for teaching manners. Also it is my favorite book starring a dinosaur. And while it might be a stretch to say it is my favorite rhyming book ever, it is my favorite rhyming book by Judy Sierra. In fact her other books tend to disappoint me. Still this is one I love, love, love to read! "Even slightly" is a great phrase to work into your conversations.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: